TomTom Satellite Navigation
TomTom is one of the world's leading brands for GPS and Sat Nav devices and the top manufacturer of GPS navigation systems in Europe.
The company was founded in 1991 and the company headquarters are now located in Amsterdam, Holland.
TomTom's products are essentially divided into three categories: sat nav devices and sat nav software and subscription services.
Sat Nav Devices
TomTom have a wide and varied product range. It can be a daunting, difficult and confusing task to wade through the various products features to find the right product with the right features. Hopefully, with the information you find here at GPS Review will help you select the right product. Take a look below for a quick summary of each product line.
Sat Nav Software
Many of the latest phones -such as the iPhone- are GPS-enabled, so they can tell you where you are and even display a map of the location along with other useful information. However, what they don't offer is a way to calculate a route to another address.
TomTom have taken their software expertise and designed software that can be purchased and installed on your phone (if it's capable). This turns your phone into a fully-fledged Sat Nav device: you no longer need to own and carry around two devices.
We live in a fast-changing world and things are always changing. Although your TomTom Sat Navs has a lot of useful information, some of it is only useful if the data is fresh and current. For instance, you need to know where the mobile speed cameras are today, not last year; if there is congestion on the motorway ahead, would it be faster to take an alternate route?
With some of TomTom's higher end sat nav devices you can subscribe to this information, either through a radio or mobile phone signal.
TomTom Product Overview
- TomTom One: This is the basic model with most of the essential features and services you would expect from a Sat Nav. There is also a wide screen version available, known as One XL
- TomTom Start: The latest sat nav range from TomTom. Designed for people new to Satellite Navigation. Available in a range of colours.
- TomTom GO: This series of devices contain more of the fancy features, such as Bluetooth connectivity and access to the the subscription services previously mentioned.
- TomTom RIDER: Specially designed for motorcyclists and scooter riders
- TomTom NAVIGATOR: Software that can be installed on PDA's, Pocket PCs and some smartphones